We are starting to get excited about our vacation! I wanted to share with you a few tips about packing for Colorado in June.
- LAYERS!! The weather has been very different each time we've traveled to Estes Park. A general rule is that you'll want long pants & sweatshirts (or a jacket) in the mornings and after the sun goes down. We typically wear shorts in late morning and throughout the afternoon. Ladies--capri's are a great item to pack!
- Pajamas: Our cabins are not air conditioned (no need to be) and aren't heated in the summer. It can get pretty cool overnight! Pack warm pajamas.
- Hiking: If you plan on hiking, you'll want comfortable shoes and socks. We typically wear long pants if we are doing a long hike that starts early in the morning. If we are doing a short afternoon hike, shorts are fine. We also have t-shirts, long sleeve t-shirts or sweatshirts, and hats. The sun is pretty intense at higher altitudes! I'll share more about hiking hints in another post.
- Food: Wes and I like to eat in the cabin as much as possible to save money, and I think it's fun. :) The other Noring's enjoy the local restaurants for most of their meals. We will bring almost all of our breakfast and lunch stuff from home.
- Cooler Items: precooked & frozen bacon, lunch meat and cheese, sandwich condiments, frozen veggies, pop & water for the car ride, frozen banana/zucchini breads & muffins. I fill the cooler and add lots of ice packs. I will refreeze the ice packs over night in the hotel fridge, and usually by the time we get to Estes, the items are thawed but still cold.
- Non Cooler Items: oatmeal packets, chips, sandwich breads/wraps, fresh fruit, peanut butter/jelly, fresh veggies, car snacks, granola bars, fruit bars, trail mix, hot tea bags, & cans of baked beans. And of course, my late night vacation must-have: HOT CHOCOLATE!
- I bring paper plates, napkins, ice packs, etc.
- Toiletries: Shampoo, Conditioner (I think the cabins provide them, but I like my own kinds), toothpaste/brush/ brushes, etc. Please remember SUNSCREEN! The mountain sun is very intense!
- Other Odds & Ends: Umbrella, cameras, binoculars (if you have these, they will get used a lot!)
Layers are a MUST! Cowboy hats are optional.
| Breakfast in the cabin. |
You WILL NOT need fancy clothes! I pretty much wear jeans, capris, t-shirt, and sweatshirts the entire time we're there. One of my first stops will be the sweatshirt shops to get us all new hoodie sweatshirts and possibly t-shirts too. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment